1. Leaving My Old Life Behind
2. I'm Only Sleeping - R. Stevie Moore
3. Eighteen is Over the Hill - The West Coast Pop Art Experimental Band
4. Let There Be Drums - Sandy Nelson
5. New Town - Life Without Buildings
6. Connection - Can
7. The Darkside - The Limi˝anas
8. Reasons To Be Cheerful, Pt. 3 - Ian Dury & the Blockheads
9. For the Love of Money - Disco Dub Band
10. More Bounce To the Ounce - Zapp
11. Requiem Pour Un Con - Serge Gainsbourg
12. Disco Devil - Lee "Scratch" Perry
13. King Heroin - James Brown
14. Love Will Set You Free - Carrie Cleveland
15. Nineteen Hundred and Eighty Five - Paul McCartney & Wings
16. Reach For the Dead - Boards of Canada
17. Zebra - Oneohtrix Point Never
18. Old Man - Justus K÷hncke
19. Sweet Mountain - American Spring
20. Defibrillator - Alex Kapranos
Franz Ferdinand are welcomed into the Late Night Tales family with a diverse 20 track selection of musical influences, inspirations, diversions and discoveries.
The quartet have released four studio albums including their 2004 self-titled debut album, which went gold just about anywhere with a record store, as well as nabbing the Mercury Music Prize and a pair of Brits for Best British Group and Best British Rock Act. They ve subsequently gone on to release You Could Have It So Much Better, Tonight: Franz Ferdinand and last year s Right Thoughts, Right Words, Right Action.
Announcing itself with Franz Ferdinand s own exclusive cover version of the hugely collectible Leaving My Old Life Behind , originally performed by Jonathan Halper, (which appeared on the cult Kenneth Anger movie Puce Moment), their Late Night Tales mix flows between dark and light, introspection and affection, dancing and horizontal appreciation.
Hear them join the dots between Can, Serge Gainsbourg and The West Coast Pop Art Experimental Band, Sandy's Nelson's percussion work-out 'Let There Be Drums', the irrepressible Ian Dury, funky sensations Zapp and the Disco Dub Band and sonic explorer Lee Scratch Perry.
Record collectors will note the inclusion of Carrie Cleveland's Northern Soul anthem 'Love Will Set You Free' - the LP attracts sales of £300+.
Also included are a set of waywardly brilliant cover versions: Justus Köhncke s dizzy interpretation of Neil Young s Old Man and R. Stevie Moore's I m Only Sleeping'.
It wouldn t be right for Franz Ferdinand to produce a mix such as this without a nod to the country that brought them together, so Glasgow s Life Without Buildings, whose uplifting New Town appears alongside Reach For The Dead by Boards Of Canada.
As they leave us wondering and wandering with American Spring s Brian Wilson-produced Sweet Mountain , we take leave of our senses and suitcases on this tour bus of your mind. We ve visited soul, funk, reggae, pop, Krautrock and others besides, but before we depart, Franz frontman Alex Kapranos provides a final farewell with the self penned story 'Defibrillator'.